Monday, May 20, 2013

Writing Rough Drafts

I can't believe how long it's been! But I did decide I wanted to try to blog through the summer (although probably not as consistently...) so I might as well get started.



Yeah. I've been working at my novel outline over the past few weeks, and I'm to the point where I actually start writing! The beginning of chapter one (version one) is written, but... that's about as far as I've gotten. As a perfectionist, I have a bit of a problem writing a rough draft. I am perfectly aware that it doesn't have to be perfect the first time through, but actually writing it without worrying about getting it "right" is... well, hard, to say the least.

When I'm writing, say, an essay or a report, taking a little time to refine stuff as I go isn't much of a problem. It makes things easier later too! But when I'm writing a story, trying to fix stuff up along the way really gets my focus off telling the story and I end up with a bunch of needless stuff. Well, I end up with needless stuff anyway, but it's easier to work with if it sticks closer to the story. However, it also takes a lot (a lot) of concentration and focus for me to write something without trying to get it perfect. Which means I'm usually mentally exhausted after an hour or so. But I s'pose it's better than nothing!

That's all I really have to say. Have a good start to your summer!

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but relate to you in making a summer ambition that didn't seem to last long! :)

    ReplyDelete