There are 37 days until The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug comes out in theaters. Let me say that again: 37 DAYS!!! :D I'm extremely excited!
If you've read much on my blog at all, you have most likely seen that I'm a big Lord of the Rings fan. Tolkien fan, really. And if you read this post you saw my review of (ok, thoughts on) the first Hobbit movie. Basically, I loved it. :) And I've been waiting almost a year for the second one.
It's going to be so incredibly epic! The trailers leave me with a gigantic grin every time I watch them. Oh, here's a link to the trailers: click here. So cool!
Anyway, as far as I can tell, the movie is once again going to differ from the book. (So read the book first!) They changed some things in the first movie that continue a bit into the second (apparently). I will say, though, some of the changes definitely make sense. In Tolkien's other work (namely The Silmarillion and the LotR appendices) he does mention other things that are going on at roughly the same time The Hobbit takes place. These things aren't specifically mentioned in the book of The Hobbit, but at least to me they fit in logically. So, yeah. As much as I'd like all movies to be exactly like the book, in these it doesn't bother me too much if they're not. It's just exciting that they're movies :D.
Also, in preparation for the movie, I'm rereading The Hobbit. We read it last year as a family before the first movie came out, and I thought it would be a good idea to refresh my memory (so I can more easily identify changes they make). It's just as good as ever! As far as I know, I'm still reading through the part that will be in this next movie. And I'm speculating how far they'll go in the story. I have ideas, but I really can't know for sure. I'll just have to wait.... *sigh* I'll just watch the trailer a whole bunch more to pass the time :).

I'm so excited too!!!!!!! It looks epic!! I've decided that I'm not going to re-read it because I've completely forgotten the end, so it'll be like finding it all out for the first time:)
ReplyDelete