Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thoughts on Writing

I've been thinking a lot about writing today. Partially because it's always in the back of my mind and partially because I was trying to formulate my thoughts into something to blog about. Whether or not this attempted formulation was productive remains to be seen.

I don't have any updates to share on my Other Worlds novel. I've updated stuff, of course, but I don't feel like any of it's clear enough to share here. It's all incredibly complicated. I knew that already, but it became super obvious when I tried to explain things about the story goal to my mom at lunch. I think she got the basic picture, but... I guess I hadn't realized how many details I'd put into just the small things even! One thing I did recognize in that conversation was that my hero and my villain have very distinct goals. Part of the problem I still have is that they don't seem to connect super well, but it's good that they're distinct characters and not just there to oppose each other.

Probably the reason I realized that was because I'd just been reading this blog's posts about villainy (which is what the link should go to). Not only are they super fun and creative, they're also informative on how to make (or be) a better villain. It's also where these came from:

This one accompanied my post on villains

I like this one. A lot. :)

This is what I was talking about with my characters.
Anyway, great stuff.

I've also been reading the OYAN blog, which has a bunch of excellent posts from Mr. S, other OYAN staff, and some older OYANers. The latest one:


Which I also just read today. It's about how writing hurts a ton because you're putting a part of yourself into it. Your story won't mean as much if you don't have to give something up, I guess. It's a wonderful part of writing (and makes reading better too!) but it's so, so hard. I think it's probably the biggest reason I avoid writing. It feels unnatural to make myself vulnerable through my writing, not to mention it's not easy. In the end, I suppose it comes down to whether or not I think it's worth it. Giving up is a whole lot easier, but it doesn't have as much reward. Deep down I think I realize that, which is why I still keep trying to write. And keep thinking about the other stories I've worked on.

Like Aubrinn's story. My first OYAN. Which I've never finished. I still think about it a ton, way more than I think about Bryllen's. It kind of surprises me, since the first had (has) WAY more problems, but maybe that's just because I was willing to risk not getting it right the first time. Or I just had no idea how wrong it could go. Ah, the innocence of inexperience. Maybe I just think about it more because I know it better. I never really got too far into Bryllen's story (although I do know the characters pretty well!) I'd really like to work on and finish both of those stories someday. And finish the one I'm working on now. I just have to be willing to take the risk of it hurting. I haven't given up yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment