Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Understanding Personality

As I told you last week, I've been doing some research on personality types as I try to get to know Aubrinn. It's a fascinating topic! I just recently got this book, which was recommended in Plot Versus Character:


Like I said, it's really cool. I haven't gotten super far into it as far as reading about all the different types of personalities goes, but what I have read is just fascinating (and the type I've been reading about seems to fit Aubrinn, so that's a plus).

You may (or may not) be familiar with the 'traditional' Myers-Briggs personality types. There are sixteen of them, based on four different sections that can each go two different ways.

Extraverted (E) or Introverted (I)
Sensory (S) or Intuitive (N)
Thinking (T) or Feeling (F)
Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)

The one I typically have the hardest time understanding is the S/N level (honestly, they aren't words I use a lot...). Basically, Sensory people are observant of things around them on the outside, while Intuitives are more observant of their own thoughts and emotions. I think. The J/P part can be a little confusing also, but Keirsey explains it as J's being more likely to plan and keep schedules, while P's will look for alternatives and opportunities (Guess which one I am...). Lastly, (I'm almost done explaining these, I promise!) the Thinking/Feeling aren't just 'thoughtful' and 'emotional' in general, but more along the lines of how people relate to others. Mrs. Peterman has also explained it to me as describing how we make decisions. According to Keirsey, Thinkers are more objective and impersonal, while Feelers are more sympathetic and personal. Now that I've explained everything except Extraverted vs. Introverted, lets move on (I trust you can figure that one out on your own...)

Keirsey splits these sixteen personalities into four groups based on what letter combinations they have: SPs, SJs, NFs, and NTs. There are (obviously) four possibilities or variations within each group, but the types in each group tend to be more similar to each other than to those in other groups. Each group also has an alternative name that is slightly easier to talk/write about (so you don't have to keep using letters); the SPs are Artisans, the SJs are Guardians, the NFs are Idealists, and the NTs are Rationals. The words do have some relation to the personality groups, but they're not an overall description of everyone in the group, at least in my opinion. Not all SPs are artists, but they do tend to be the ones who are experts in whatever they try to do, especially in active things or activities using specific tools. I'm not sure how I feel about the word "Guardian" being used to describe the SJs (I'm an ISTJ, by the way), but I haven't read that chapter yet so I might accept it :P. Artisans are the ones I've been reading about mostly so far, and like I said before, I think Aubrinn could fit well in that group. I want to look at the others a little but too, but I really don't think she'll be either of them (I already know she's NOT a Guardian... nope.)

There is SO much to talk about on this subject and I'd love to discuss it all, but there's no way that's possible. Definitely not in one blog post. Although all of it is cool, you'll have to read the book. :)

Except there is one more thing I want to talk about. With these four groups, Keirsey organizes them or characterizes them somewhat by how they use words and tools.

So, people tend to use words in either an abstract way (figuratively, symbolically, theoretically) or in a concrete way (literally, specifically, detailed). I'm still figuring out exactly what he means by this, but I think it's more of the way some people tend to use the literal meaning of the word while others make word pictures or metaphors. I think.

Then tools are used either cooperatively (in the way they were made to be used, in the traditional way) or in a utilitarian way (whatever is most practical or useful at the moment, even if it's generally "wrong").

With both of those things, then, you can see that each group has one that it is related to in how it uses tools, one in how it uses words, and one that is completely opposite. These two things (words and tools) can help you identify what type of personality other people have, since they're actually observable things instead of, say, the person's thoughts.

OK, now I'm done. I just found this stuff incredibly interesting (especially as a character-first writer!) and I wanted to share what I was learning! I'd love to talk about it more if anyone's interested :).

1 comment:

  1. I tried to comment on your newest post, and it wouldn't let me! Hm. Anyway, here it is:

    The name Ainsley caught my eye because that's what my pastor and his wife just named their new baby girl! Also, I love the photo editing! And I love that you took a personality test as a fictional character who you are creating. :)

    ReplyDelete